Rizzo May 2013
¡Buen fin de semana!
Hope you don't waste the long weekend doing what they did in the picture above!
Scroll down for homework due Wed. May 22nd
Spanish 10 Parents: Don't know what topic we're on? Haz clic aquí! (April 16th Test) or
Haz clic aquí! (May 15th test)
Please email me at email@example.com if you wish to know your child's grade. I can attach their latest progress report.
On Twitter, I am @srarizzo252. Generally, I retweet about themes/grammar/world events we discuss in class. Mostly I follow Spanish-speaking news agencies, sports figures and other educators that have to do with español or WGSS.
Spanish 10 students:
Keep scrolling down for homework + extra assignments.
Textbook link here for review & practice
HOMEWORK listed here
Homework (long weekend) due Wednesday, May 22nd (given Friday)
Study the 10 vocab words I gave you Friday in class: tren, autobús, avión, barco, lago, pájaro, boleto, parque de diversiones, ciudad y mar. You will have to write out the words with the matching pictures. Spelling will count.
Also be ready to answer ¿Qué comiste esta mañana? and ¿Qué bebiste esta mañana? (-er verb endings are on p.383)
Homework due Monday, May 13th (given Tues)
Quiz on Direct Object Pronouns
- What are the 7 object pronouns? (me, te, lo/la, nos, los/las)
- Where do they go in a sentence? (before the verb)
- Can you rewrite this sentence properly?: "I bought a purse." becomes "I bought it." ("Yo compré un bolso." becomes "Yo lo compré.")
- Can you ANSWER this question properly? "¿Cuándo vas a estudiar el español?" ("Yo lo voy a estudiar todos los días.") or "¿Viste el partido de los Canucks el domingo pasado?" ("Sí, yo lo vi." / "No, no lo vi.")or ¿Compraste una falda de H&M?" ("Sí, yo la compré." / "No, no la compré.")
Also, reminder of test Wednesday on page 370: shopping vocab, gar/car/zar verbs & direct object pronouns
Hwk due Thurs, May 9 (given Tues.)
Study page 370 - all of left side only. Your second vocab quiz will be matching vocab (last time you had to produce the words on your own and spell them correctly) only. However, there are more words to study this time. Give and take :)
Many students still have to hand in your Spring Break homework. Please do so ASAP. It is a major mark for Term 3 beside your two Unit Tests.
Your next Unit Test is next Wednesday, May 15th on page 370 (shopping, how to say "it" and "them" and the past tense of gar, car, zar verbs as well as past tense of -er/-ir verbs).
TEST 7A Clothing Unit: Tuesday April 16th.
Study p.342 + NEW past tense endings p.354
Homework for Wednesday, April 10th
Bring prop(s) for clothing skit. I will have wardrobe and hangers. You'll need the clothing you're talking about. Skit does not have to be memorized but you must be familiar with your lines. You will lose marks if you read your enitre part. ¡Suerte!
Homework for Tuesday, April 2nd (given March 14th)
60 marks!!! Complete your "De vacaciones '13" homework. Due the Tuesday you get back. Block order will be:
Spanish 10 2-4 first block (Josh & Josh class)
Spanish 10 2-3 second block (Shayla & Rebecca class)
Spanish 10 2-2 Double (PabloMiguel y SMiles class)
Spanish 11 last block
Homework due Thursday, March 14th
Keep up with vocabulary on clothing p.288. Head's up: There will be some homework over Spring break. I don't ALWAYS give break homework but I am this year. More to come ...
Hwk due Tues, March 11 (given March 8, International Women's Day)
All blocks: Vocab Quiz p.342 "To talk about clothing" section only. Clothing = ropa
Didn't bring home your text? Haz clic aquí
Look below at a wordle (from Pinterest). Don't know who the "author" is but the grade 10s know all these words (exceptions: "por" has dozens of meanings and generally follows the word "gracias," and "valor" which they can figure out).
Hwk due Mon March 4
1) Complete the handout "Research on the 'Red.'"
2) Find any one quote from Roberto Clemente. By Monday's class, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), tweet (@srarizzo252) or write the quote on the "Research on the 'Red'" sheet. To find a quote, use google, wikipedia, power points, pinterest fan sites etc ... I know you will find SOMETHING. Below is a biography on him and a statue of him in Pittsburgh. It is in front of the - what else? - Roberto Clemente Bridge.
Test Tues. Feb. 19
1. Matching Eng-Span or Picture - Spanish. (things in a bedroom, colours, adjectives to describe something)
2. Understand how to make comparisons (more ... than, less ... than, just ... as; better than/worse than), and how to express that something is "the best" or "the worst"
1. Know how to write (and spell) your household chores, "dirty/clean", "near/far", rooms in a home
2. Know how to make a command (...a, ...e, Haz, Ten, Ven, Sal, Pon, Di, Sé, Ve)
*TEST FOR 6A&B is TUESDAY, FEB 19th*
Hwk due Thurs. Feb. 7th (given Tues)
Block 2-2: Finish "Rules of Life and Travel" advice from Pinterest. Just look up Sra. Rizzo on Pinterest and find the board on Realidades 1.6A&B. The (colourful) poster is there. What verb does the advice come from? What does the advice mean?
Block 2-4: QUIZ on chores - first block Thursday :) Know what the Spanish chores mean and know how to fill in the blanks, for example: ____ el césped; _______ la basura; _______ el polvo (spelling will not count - I will give you the matching vocab, you have to put the word in the correct expression (for example: sacar, quitar,cortar)
Block 2-3 No official homework; however, consistently look over/flashcards/quiz yourself over/with vocab on page 318
Hwk due Tues Feb 5 (given Fri)
All blocks have slightly different homework:
Block 2-3 Quiz on chores (recognize vocab- spelling will not count). Check that 6B1 and 6B2 are complete in cuaderno
Block 2-4 perhaps a pop quiz Tuesday ?!?!? ;) check that 6B1 and 6B2 are complete in cuaderno
Block 2-2 No quiz, just complete pages 6B1 and 6B2 in cuaderno
Hwk due Fri Feb 1 (given Wed)*
Block 2-4 only: FOR HOMEWORK MARKS !! Write out five simple sentences describing your bedroom. Follow the Spanish model at the top of your page. What is to the right of the door? Where are there photos? On the wall? Is there a nightstand beside the bed? Is is neat? What colours are the walls etc... Use page 294 for all vocab (or click this link) or even p. 120 from last year for location words (beside, on top of, in front of ...)
All blocks: Make sure you hand in your USA maps if you have not already done so. Staple map with intruction page. Map goes on top.
* We are moving into Unit 6B without a formal test on 6A. We are combining these chapters and there will be one assessment for the important concepts at the end of Term 2.
Hwk due Tues, Jan 22 (given Fri)
All Spanish 10s: Why is this man (Emilio Estefan) important in the music industry? ¿Cómo se llama su esposa?
Hwk due Fri Jan 18 (given Wed)
Memorize tengo, vengo, salgo, hago, pongo, caigo, traigo, oigo, digo for next class
Block 2-4 Colour quiz (p. 273/294)
Xmas holiday hwk bonus was due Jan. 8th
Send me an email email@example.com or a tweet @srarizzo252 about why there is a tradition to eat 12 grapes at midnight in Spain along with a photo of yourself partaking in this tradition - alone or with others :)
P.S. The drink is grape juice for kids :)
Hwk due Fri Dec 21 (given Wed)
Block 2-4: Memorize tengo, vengo, salgo, hago, pongo, traigo, caigo, oigo, digo
All Spanish 10 Blocks
Hwk for Wed, Dec 19 (given last Tues)
TEST NEXT CLASS!
- Unit 5B Page 268 - writing, listening and reading
- physical appearance vocab (ex: Es alta. Tiene pelo corto y castaño. Tiene ojos azules. Es una mujer. Es joven.)
- restaurant vocab (plus know how to work with the verb "faltar" - me falta(n), te falta(n), le falta(n) ...
- "shoe" / "boot" / "stem-changing" verbs I will ask you to conjugate poder (o-ue) PLUS venir (vengo, vienes, viene, venimos, vienen) will be on your test in a fill-in-the-bank dialogue.
Homework for Monday, December 17th (given Thurs)
1. Skits to be presented Monday!! Be ready! Be familiar with your lines.
2. Also, you need to look into some basic info about Jenni Rivera. What was she known for besides singing? What TYPE of music did she sing? Bring the answers on a small piece of paper (post-it - scrap paper - whatever you can find. Put your name on it for marks)
3. TEST WEDNESDAY!! Be prepared! Study page 268 and binder notes. More specifics are below.
Homework for Fri Dec 7 (given Wed.)
Here is an update since I've been away sick recently: In 2-2 and 2-4 we finished watching the movie that the substitute showed. In 2-3 we started watching The Fifth Estate episode of "Run For Your Life". The link to the show is here. This goes with the theme of Spanish-speakers in the US and immigration from our tex. We'll be mapping out the topic later in Dec.
Meanwhile, we are finishing our unit on Restaurants and Physical Appearance. You'll be creating and presenting a skit in a restaurant between a waiter and some customers. Again, block 2-3 has started to organize this, 2-2 and 2-4 will do this Friday. You will present the 17th of December.
For Thurs Nov. 29: No class tomorrow but I will be here around 3pm and stay until 4pm to accept/help with last minute work. Over your long weekend for Monday, Dec. 3rd. Just keep reviewing your vocab: link here
Homework due Wednesday, November 28th (given Mon)
Study for Quiz on Physical Appearance vocab: hair; eye colour; tall/short; man/woman; old/young
- finish page 252 Activity 6 (describing Jorge, Rosalía, Lucía, Maria Elena, Alejandro) as this will help study for the quiz.
- can you describe someone's hair colour & length? eye colour? height? gender? (man/woman) age? (old/young)?
- Use "Él/Ella tiene" or "Él/Ella es" in your sentences.
- Could you describe the people below if asked (hint! hint!)? Remember that "readheads" are special, grammatically speaking. Emma Stone? What about our Prime and Minister or Sra. Harper? The first female president of Costa Rica - Laura Chinchilla? Miley Cyrus? I will provide height & eye colour.
Homework due Mon, Nov 26 (given Thurs)
Study all terms related to restaurant theme.
- p.268 textbook (pdf of actual page) from the website of Realidades 1 (online version of textbook)
- ¡Vamos al restaurante! worksheet in binder
- For sure I will ask you to give 3 ways to order in a restaurant: "Quisiera ..." / "Me gustaría..." / "Pido ..."
Hwk due Thurs Nov 22 (given Tues)
Quiz /11 on "Shoe" Verbs (Stem Changing Verbs)
Understand the concept of spelling changes in the stem of some verbs.
- What are the 3 types? (e-ie. o-ue, e-i)
- When/Where does the spelling change happen? When/Where does it NOT happen?
- What is the design or drawing you draw around your verb?
- Study grade 9 verb endings if you don't remember them - it's a "given" that you have already memorized them.
Hints for quiz Thurs:
For Shayla (asked for white out in perfect español):
Hwk due Tues Nov 20 (given Fri)
We'll be doing a listening activity with the CD so reviewing your (p.268) vocab before hand will help even though it will be open book. Other than that, no specific homework.
Hwk due Fri, Nov 16
What do the four words above mean? Look on wordreference.com. Even if it does not give the definition, scroll down to see if there is a "forum" about the word or what it says "google translate" says. If you can get 3 of the 4 words, it is great : un tuit (noun), un tuitero (noun), tuitear (verb), (él/ella) tuiteó (verb in the past tense in the wordle it is missing an accent). Also - no one (out loud) could give the English meaning of "armisticio" (noun). Look it up and tell me what this word is in English. I promise you it exists and I'm sure you heard it at least once during our Walnut Grove Remembrance Day Assemblies last Thursday.
Hwk due Wed, Nov 14 (given Thurs before long weekend)
Blocks 2-3 and 2-4: Complete the "Video" (5B) worksheet and "Dates" worksheet (Wordsearches only but on both sides of page).
Block 2-2 we had Remembrance Day Assembly so complete the first activity (organize the vocabulary into 3 sections) on "Video" (5B) worksheet into the 3 categories (use page 268 in textbook): para la mesa, para comer, para beber. I will be looking over your ¿Comprendes? answers over the weekend from pages 150-151.
Hwk for Thurs Nov. 8 (given Tuesday)
Make sure your magazine family project is handed in ASAP as it is now late for all three Spanish 10 blocks. Other than that, no specific homework for Thurs.
Ganadores de la lotería: ¡Jueves les traigo su galleta o chocolate - lo que prefieres ... FELICIDADES!
Día de los Muertos was Fri. Nov. 2nd
There were events here in the Lower Mainland to commemorate this day up to and including Sunday, November 4th.
Hwk due Tues Nov. 6 (given Friday)
Magazine project is due for blocks 2-2 and 2-3. (Block 2-4 your project was due already so get it in ASAP as it is now late).
For any student that started the "Dates/Fechas" worksheet in class, do only the front for Tuesday. I need to help you in class with the back of the sheet).
Hwk due Fri Nov 2 (given Wed. Oct. 31st)
Blocks 2-2 and 2-3 I will look over your rough drafts for "Mi" familia magazine project for Friday. We didn't have enough time to work on it (spent so much time on the songs - "Muchas Gracias a Kyle" for his re-enactment of the song!) so your project is now due Tuesday (not this Friday).
Block 2-4: Since you had a double block today, you had more than enough time to work on the project; therefore, as discussed, your magazine project IS due this Friday. Good copy = 6 pictures, a border, 28 sentences with everything fixed to your best ability: spelling, grammar, and all other criteria met.
FYI: Troubles with "Nada, anaranjada" ? Use "Nada, nada, limonada!" Friday instead.
Hwk due Wed Oct 31 (given Mon. 29th)
"Mi" familia project due (rough draft of the 6 descriptions = 28 sentences in total) Wednesday. (Good copy will be due this Friday, Nov 2nd). Below: Es una foto de su profesora los lunes cuando tiene sueño y tiene sed:
Hwk due Mon. Oct. 29 (given Thurs.)
1. No specific weekend homework unless you wanted to bring in your own pictures Monday from home for the "Mi" familia project we have been working on (magazine cut-outs). You will have more time to work on it Monday. It will be due Wednesday, Oct. 31st.
2. Make sure you have handed in your
- Tener posters
- "La mejor familia" composition (rought draft stapled to the back of good copy. Include one picture of the family together
- "Repaso" (review) Crossword (due last Thursday - the day of the test)
Here is the link to the lyrics video (fan video - not the "video oficial" that failed to load in class).
How did we do on the test? Here is a graphic representation of how many students remembered which tener expressions on test day. The bigger the word, the more students remembered the vocab. Looks like we need to review tener sueño, tener prisa, and tener miedo:
Extra: ¿Te gusta el fútbol? Do you loke soccer?
One of the best-known teams in the Mexican League Las Chivas de Guadalajara (the other is Club América from Mexico City) lost their game in the CONCACAF tournament. Here is a puzzle game poking fun at their loss from www.mediotiempo.com. ¿Puedes hacerlo? Can you do the puzzle?
Nos faltan 2 días para el Halloween. Aquí es un video infantil para la fiesta :) ¡Bú!
Here is a powerpoint of "el mundo del español". We'll make corrections in class during term 1. (Ustedes) necesitan el mapa. ¿Lo tienen? Do you have yours (in your binder)?
(Unable to load RSS feed and no cache was found or was invalid.)