Important Update About Timetable Pickup
Today, Tuesday, August 26th, was advertised as student timetable pickup day. The school is behind a picketline today, so we are asking students and parents to consider picking up their timetables Wednesday, August 27, between 9am and 12pm. Should that time not work, students and parents may pick up their timetables during regular office hours at the school from 8am to 3pm.
Important Update About Timetable Changes
The Admin. Team (Mr. Kozlovic, Ms. Murdoch, Mrs. Schuerhaus, and Mr. Trattle) will be dealing with Priority 1 and Priority 2 timetable issues ONLY on August 28 and August 29 from 9:30am to 12:00pm. Students are asked to line up outside the office on a first come, first serve basis.
Priority 1: My timetable is incomplete.
- This means that you do not have eight courses on your timetable.
- If you requested a Student Aide block and it is not on your schedule, please see Mrs. Sargeant in the main office. She will explain why it didn’t work to add a Student Aide to your schedule.
Priority 2: My timetable is incorrect.
- This means that you are in an incorrect grade-level class. For example, if you should be in English 10 and your timetable shows you in English 12.
- This DOES NOT means your timetable is incorrect because you have changed your mind. For example, you chose French 9 on your course selection sheet but you now want to take Spanish 9. This would be a Priority 3 timetable issue, as are all elective changes.
Priority 3: I would like to switch a class(es)
- At this time, Priority 3 changes will occur the first week back to school.
More information will be made available as the Teacher strike situation changes. Please check our website at http://www.wgss.ca for daily updates, and listen to the messages left by WGSS.
Letter from the Superintedent
A letter was sent out to parents via email by Superintendent Suzanne Hoffman updating information about the current labour situation and its impact on the start-up of school in September. It can be viewed here:
We hope you had a chance to rest, relax and enjoy some quality time over the summer with your family and friends!
Our office reopened on Tuesday, August 19. Office hours are 8:00 am to 3:00 pm daily.
As all of you are aware, the BCTF strike still continues and we are unsure when it will be resolved. However, at this point, we are remaining optimistic and are operating as though school will start as scheduled on September 2nd. With that in mind, here are a couple of important upcoming dates:
1) Tuesday August 26th - Student start-up package and Timetable Pick-up - 10:30 am to 1:30 pm - students can pick up their 2014/15 timetables and start-up packages at the school between these times. There is one package for each WGSS Family.
2) Timetable issues and concerns - if counsellors are back at work next week, these will be dealt with through the usual process which is clearly explained in the attached newsletter. If the strike continues into next week, the WGSS Admin team will be dealing with timetable issues and concerns on Thursday August 28th and Friday August 29th. More information will be emailed home if this is this case. As well, be please advised that if this is indeed the situation, students and parents will need to be prepared to be patient as the process may be slower than usual.
As the majority of our communication with parents is done via email, please ensure we have your current email address. Call the office at 604.882.0220 if you need to update your contact information.
2014/15 WGSS Calendar
Please click here to view the 2014/15 calendar.
Kishi Japan Visit - October 2014 - Looking for Homestay Families
WGSS is very excited to once again be hosting a group of Japanese students from Kishi, Japan next October 14 to 19, 2014. During their visit, the 30 students from Japan will be living with WGSS students and their families in order to have a truly Canadian experience. We are currently looking for 30 WGSS families who would be willing to host one of these Japanese students during their stay. For more information, please see the attached newsletter, itinerary and application package.
If you have any questions or would like to know more about the program, please contact Ms. McGivern at the school.
Looking for your Marks?
Hey students. Looking for your marks on the new webpage? Teachers are no longer organized by department. Instead click STAFF in the main menu and find your teacher by last name. If they have online marks or any other web presence, it will be linked on that page.
Look for this icon
Homestay families needed
The International Student Program is looking for Homestay families for our Summer Camp Programs and next year's school program.
Please visit studyinlangley.com/homestay/how-to-become-a-homestay-family/ to access the application forms or contact Joan McGivern at (604) 882-0220 extension 271 or through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in registering at Walnut Grove Secondary. Our school is a large comprehensive high school which offers a wide variety of academic and elective opportunities for students. Graduation requirements and course descriptions are available for your information in our Course Planning Guide by clicking the 'Course Guide' button above.
Students wishing to register should complete the WGSS New Student Registration Form and the Langley School District Registration Form. These forms should be submitted to the WGSS Office with supporting documents as the first step of the registration process.
Additional registration documents such as course selection forms and forms for specific programs are available under the ‘Counselling’ tab and the ‘Course Guide’ tab.
Parents - click on this link for the latest edition of Gator Gossip, our electronic newsletter which will be emailed home to parents on a regular basis. If you did not receive a copy of Gator Gossip by email, that means that the school does not have your correct email address on file. Please contact the main office and provide us with your correct email if you would like to receive email updates from the school.